Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Regarding the Barclays episode, I received their apology email and four phone calls claiming they would inform me about the outcome of their investigation into the matter. So far, after so many days i haven't heard anything from their side. That shop is nothing but a great boast and a haram roast.

Last week, three days before Eid, i got my passport back from Gerry's with visa endorsed on it and hence enabling me to reach the university in time before the commencement of class. And then it was a race against time, as i had to do packing and hire a truck to shift everything back to home. Worth mentioning here that i still had to do some necessary shopping. It took us (my wife and i) two days to pack and move back to home. Due to Eid holidays and unavailability of labor and trucks, the goods transport company charged me almost double for transportation.

On the second day of Eid i went to Bahawalpur to say goodbye to some relatives and in-laws. It was a hectic return trip which took 34 hours. The next morning i had to go for some shopping and thanks to my wife, who, meanwhile, did all the packing for me. From putting toothpaste and ear-buds in my shaving box to ironing all my clothes she took every care not to miss anything.

The next day, on 5th Oct, i took a direct nine hours flight from Lahore to Glasgow. In the same flight i met one of the professors of my university - the place from where i did my bachelors four years ago. He, too, was going for post doctorate from The university of Dundee at an hour distance by road from Glasgow city. A cockroach also flew with us from Lahore and i am sure his forefathers had also been enjoying these free flights and and so will his coming generations - this generosity of PIA deserves appreciation. Lunch was insufficient in quantity and as pathetic as you can imagine. Eight table spoons of vegetable rice, one small chicken boti, a bun, butter, salad and kheer. Lunch served in routine in the domestic flights of AirBlue is far better than the lunch PIA served on that international flight.

At the airport, after encountering an egg-head immigration officer, i collected my luggage and exchanged some currency at higher rates from American Express, called in to an acquaintance and reached a spot near his residence from where he picked me hence solving the problem of my initial settlement and food.

Still i am staying with that friend and i hope by tomorrow i'll be able to shift, either in a private flat in case i find it or in the university accommodation otherwise. And i am not sure how long will it take me to send for my wife. Depends on the availability of the reasonable accommodation with a reasonable rent. People here told me that cost of living is low but rents are higher - Around 450 pounds for a flat inclusive of all bills and for food it's 100 pounds per person. And remember so far i haven't talked anything about studies.

Weather is cold and it had been drizzling here since morning. It's 4 pm and i am missing everybody at home. This homesickness is a reflection that i am here for a longer duration and thousands of miles away from home.

Let's see what's next. I have many tough challenges ahead.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow .. hopes and prays that wifey be re-united soon, IA.

It's kinda ok .. in london a very basic setup costs around 750-1000 GBP :/

gh said...

Comparatively London is expensive.